Soft shell crab – 2 pieces
Tempura batter – 1 tbsp
Cornflour – 4 tbsp
For coconut mixture
Coconut flakes – 7-8
Gunpowder – 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves, chopped – 1 tsp
Spring onions, chopped – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
Split urad dal, washed – ¼ tsp
Curry leaves – 4-5 pieces
Garnish with beans
For tomato pickle chutney
Tomato pickle – 1 tsp
Mayonnaise – 1½ tbsp
Tomato ketchup – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – ¼ tsp
Chaat masala – ¼ tsp
Coriander leaves, chopped – ½ tsp
Spring onions, chopped – ½ tsp
- Clean soft shell crab thoroughly. Pat dry and keep aside.
- Prepare coconut mixture:
- Dry roast coconut flakes till they are completely dry, crisp and slightly golden in colour from the edges.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add gunpowder, chopped coriander and spring onions. Mix gently, taking care not to break the coconut flakes. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, split urad dal and curry leaves. Allow to crackle. Pour over coconut mixture. Toss gently and keep aside.
Prepare tomato pickle chutney:
- Use savoury tomato pickle. Take required quantity in a blender and grind the pickle.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve to make a smooth paste.
- Mix tomato pickle paste with mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, garam masala powder andchaatmasala.
- Mix well, adding a little water if required. The consistency of the chutney should be a drippy sauce.
Prepare the crab:
- Dip the cleaned crab in tempura batter. Dust generously with cornflour. Shake the pieces to remove excess cornflour. Deep fry in hot oil till crisp and golden. Remove and drain excess oil.
- Place fried crab in a bowl. Add coconut mixture. Toss well, till the masala coats all the crab pieces. Finish with chopped coriander and spring onions. Serve hot with tomato pickle chutney.